Senior Administrative Assistant, Vice President’s Suite, Office of Development
Reporting to the executive assistant to the vice president, the senior administrative assistant in the Office of the Vice President for Alumni Affairs and Development provides a comprehensive range of high level administrative and secretarial support to the vice president, associate vice president, and other key members of the vice president’s team.
- Serves as a primary point of contact for the Office of Development and as a resource to other units; greets visitors, fields phone calls, and e-mail messages from alumni, donors, university offices, and others, gathers information, and refers or responds as appropriate.
- Provides high level scheduling support, often involving complicated planning and requiring follow-through, proactive thinking, and careful attention to detail.
- Makes detailed travel arrangements, often for trips with complex itineraries and involving other university senior level administrators.
- Prepares complex expense reports, check deposits, and, as needed, other financial transactions.
- Composes substantive correspondence and written material. Conducts research and assembles related materials, as appropriate. Formats, edits, and proofs correspondence and other often critical and highly confidential documents.
- Updates the prospect and donor information for high level donors in the alumni/donor database, assists with the development and implementation of the high level, comprehensive, and complex database reporting needs of the unit requiring extensive use of Excel. Proactively suggests database and process improvements and actively assists with implementation. Serves as local expert/resource for alumni/donor database issues taking an active team role in meeting the alumni/donor database needs of the Office of Development.
- Organizes meeting logistics and materials in preparation for meetings. Determines administrative and equipment needs for meetings and conferences. Assembles and arranges for necessary items.
- Receives, reviews, and makes decisions on the referral of paper and electronic mail, including correspondence and other materials. Oversees files, including electronic filing of documents. Coordinates and monitors deliveries and pick-ups.
- Provides high level, comprehensive administrative and logistical support for various projects, programs, and events as assigned.
Required skills and abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; proven ability to work collegially and effectively with people from all levels of the organization. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team. Ability to provide excellent customer service via phone, e-mail and in-person.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, multi-task, and manage a wide variety of complex tasks in a time-constrained environment and requiring highly effective organizational and problem-solving skills, sound independent judgment, and the ability to prioritize—all with minimal supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including editing and proofreading skills. Accuracy and exceptional attention to detail. Professionalism, maturity, and an ability to maintain strict confidentiality on matters requiring discretion. Ability to demonstrate grace under pressure.
- Exceptional computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft products; high proficiency in Word and Excel. Knowledge of databases, PowerPoint, and other technology. Above average keyboarding skills.
- Demonstrated reliability, punctuality, and an excellent record of attendance.
Required education and experience
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an associate’s degree; or little or no work experience and a bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Preferred education, experience, and skills
Database skills and proven ability to analyze large volumes of data, develop and prepare high level complex reports, and to provide complicated data analysis. Ability to master new IT tools, resources, and databases. Proficiency with complex database extractions into Excel.