Development Prospect Management Officer
Reporting to the assistant vice president of development, the development prospect management officer of prospect management has oversight of the Office of Development’s prospect management policies and guidelines, which serves as the university’s guiding principles for how frontline fundraisers work with prospects across the university. Partnering closely with the assistant vice president of development, the development prospect management officer of prospect management will be responsible for performing a wide range of prospect management tasks including, but not limited to, monitoring prospect assignments, engaging in pipeline development and analysis, ensuring portfolio optimization, and implementing prospect management efforts that are forward-looking, capitalizing on emerging technologies and existing resources. Additionally, the development prospect management officer of prospect management partners closely with frontline fundraising teams (primarily Major Gifts, Leadership Giving, Reunion Giving, and Planned Giving), fosters collaboration, and consistently follows prospect management best practices in fundraising in higher education.
- Manages and oversees the prospect assignment process for individual giving units, in partnership with individual giving senior staff and leadership in Prospect Research.
- Drives the periodic and formal portfolio review process for designated individual giving teams, partnering with Prospect Research.
- Provides periodic monitoring, analysis, and follow-up of moves management of all portfolios in designated individual giving teams.
- Oversees periodic monitoring of related metrics such as movement of active and planned opportunities in designated individual giving teams and/or progress toward goals of individual gift officers.
- Partners with staff in Advancement Systems on development, roll out, and ongoing refinement of gift officer dashboards and other related projects for designated teams.
- Advises gift officers on prospect identification, engagement, management, and solicitation strategies for existing and prospective donors.
- Collaborates with senior staff and others on pipeline monitoring and reporting.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for Yale’s prospect management policies and guidelines for individual giving and help to ensure gift officers are following the protocols outlined within
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and abilities
- Analytical Skills—ability to analyze information and data to help formulate solicitation strategies and assist with other elements of prospect management.
- Problem Solving Skills—ability to synthesize and provide problem-solving, idea creation, and overall strategy guidance related to elements of prospect management.
- Project Management—ability to manage multiple projects and processes concurrently adhering to deadlines and a keen attention to detail.
- Leadership Skills—ability to provide oversight and guidance to fundraisers and other colleagues on elements of prospect management.
- Technological Skills—must possess a strong working knowledge of donor data, ability to understand and work within a CRM system.
Required education and experience
Bachelor’s degree and five years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred education and experience
Experience working in higher education or an equivalent complex environment.