Program Manager, Principal Gifts
Manages a team of program coordinators and administrative professionals to ensure a high level of support for the associate vice president and principal gifts officers in their work to raise transformational gifts to fund Yale’s highest priorities. Serves as senior editor to the team as it produces timely, high quality gift proposals, written briefing materials and draft correspondence for Yale leadership, donor stewardship reports and other writing projects in accordance with the style guide and established procedural guidelines. Supports and coaches the team members as they collaborate with gift officers and associate vice president to produce special events, manage prospect cases, and take on other assignments as required. Coordinates university-wide principal gifts prospect strategy review meetings and analysis on behalf of the associate vice president. Works closely with key Yale staff, faculty and all units within the Office of Development. Serves as a liaison with the Office of the President concerning written materials. Serves as a member of the associate vice president’s management team.
- Oversees work flow and ensures equal distribution and timely completion of work. Initiates, develops and oversees projects that forward the unit’s goals. Reports on program coordinator team productivity.
- Meets regularly with program coordinator staff and conducts semi-annual and annual reviews.
- Sets and maintains quality standards for all written materials provided by and for the specific fundraising unit.
- Innovates and develops best practices in line with changing departmental needs.
- Provides oversight and direction for all events managed by the specific fundraising team, including any necessary volunteer support and follow up.
- Serves as a resource to the unit director in managing her/his prospect portfolio, including regularly-scheduled meetings to document all initiatives with the donors/prospects assigned to her/him.
- Devises and implements plans for regular communication with prospects that may be unassigned during staffing transitions.
- Participates in training of new and current gift officers and administrative staff to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the resources and procedures within the unit.
- Hires and directly supervises unit’s student employees, including training and coordination of project assignments.
- Keeps abreast of university events and disseminates University information to team members as it becomes available.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Effective interpersonal skills. Ability to train and coach staff with varying experience and expertise. Ability to interact in a professional manner with high level administrators and donors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail. Strong computer skills, including demonstrated proficiency using database systems to produce reports and other analysis.
- Professionalism, maturity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills; ability to initiate and apply creative solutions.
- Ability to prioritize work, multi-task and meet deadlines. Ability to work well, both independently and as part of a diverse team.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree and two years of related experience with two years supervisory experience or equivalent combination of experience and education.
Preferred Education and Experience
Experience in a university setting or with development work; advanced degree; familiarity with Yale; experience working directly with high level executives, faculty or administrators; ability to design and produce reports and create presentations.