Donor Recognition Manager, Communications
Reporting to the deputy director, communications, and exercising a high degree of independent judgment, serve as a key member of the team responsible for planning, management, execution, and tracking of high-level donor recognition projects, with particular emphasis on recognition opportunities and donor plaques associated with capital projects and endowment gifts. Design and oversee production of donor plaques ensuring compliance with university standards, including materials, finishes, typesetting, and layout; interact with vendors and oversee manufacture and installation. Collaborating with advancement systems and ITS, as well as colleagues in marketing & communications, develop a complete and searchable online record of giving opportunities, donor plaque commitments, installed plaques, and plaque photos; maintain database once deployed. Collaborating with colleagues in marketing & communications and in the frontline fundraising units, develop, maintain, and publish a range of print and electronic volunteer and donor honor rolls associated with recognition societies such as Sterling Fellows and Yale Legacy Partners, volunteer participation and membership, group recognition for facilities projects, printed programs, and other recognition as assigned.
- Advise and collaborate with development and university colleagues, including appropriate senior leadership and other stakeholders, to develop complex donor recognition proposals that include gift levels, siting, design, and layout.
- Manage the process for identifying recognition opportunities in new and existing projects. Manage information flow and interactions among and between key decision-makers and stakeholders including unit/school leadership, facility project managers, and representatives of the offices of the provost and the university printer.
- Consult with and advise on recognition projects in the schools and units, providing guidance on protocol, style standards, and university guidelines.
- Oversee staff responsible for tracking recognition opportunities available for units/schools/projects managed by central development and ensure that commitment to donors are accurately recorded and ultimately met.
- Draft, format, and ensure accuracy of written matter associated with donor recognitions, including dedicatory language and honor rolls. Develop marketing materials for gift opportunities.
- Advise and strategize with gift officers to assign donors to appropriate recognition opportunities and secure donor approvals for recognition language.
- Oversee the full range of activities associated with plaque creation and production, including the development of budgets and requests for proposals, assessing vendor capabilities, reviewing bids, and selecting vendors. Perform quality assurance and manage resolution of any associated issues.
- Develop and update policy materials and style guides associated with donor plaques and other university donor recognition initiatives.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and abilities
- Creative thinker with demonstrated skills in written communication and familiarity with graphic design, typesetting, and layout.
- Excellent oral communication skills, ability to work diplomatically and gracefully with internal clients.
- Well-developed organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously under significant deadline pressure.
- Self-motivated and dedicated worker, able to work independently and as part of a team.
Required education and experience
Bachelor’s degree and one- to three-years of experience in a related area or equivalent combination of education and experience. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite programs (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat).
Preferred education and experience
Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Experience in a university and/or development setting and knowledge of Yale.