Development Coordinator 1/Program Coordinator, International Development
Reporting to the program manager, provides comprehensive and high-level administrative, database, and event planning support to the director of International Development and other members of the International Development team, in support of their mission to cultivate, solicit and steward international donors and prospects. The program coordinator will also serve as resource on the Office of Development database to team members and other Office of Development staff. The program coordinator is responsible for a range of activities that include: producing high-level travel itineraries for the team and administrators at Yale, including the president, vice presidents, and other deans and directors; preparing travel expense reports; coordinating regional and international events; generating all requested database reports and participating in new reports and database projects as needed; writing, formatting, editing/proofreading, and assembling briefings and correspondence materials for the team and other administrators at Yale; drafting and/or assisting with various communications including responses to gift inquiries; proofreading and editing materials including briefings and correspondence materials for grammatical and factual accuracy; ensuring the accuracy of all information relayed to prospects and donors as well as the accuracy of data on the university and departmental databases; organizing and executing both hard-copy and on-line mailings to various constituencies, in addition to assisting with other major and often complex projects; building and maintaining query/reporting library to support regular data needs; designing, developing, and producing ad hoc reports and analyses by assimilating data from primary databases and other sources to support fundraising programs; identifying changes that need to be made to databases to support requirements for reporting and analysis; working closely with Support Services to implement them; coordinating special events (e.g., campus visits) to ensure their timely and successful completion; responding to phone calls, e-mail and mail; providing initial response and follow-up to inquiries and issues as needed; updating and improving team’s organizational systems and reporting; and undertaking other projects upon request of the director of International Development and other team members.
- Drafts a variety of written materials, including detailed individual prospect briefings and gift indentures, proposals in support of specific university initiatives and internal and external correspondence that conforms to the style and voice of the sender.
- Coordinates research on individual donors and the history and status of gift commitments as needed by gift officers and other university officials. Ensures the accuracy of gift acknowledgments and all information communicated to donors and prospects.
- Prepares reports on prospect pools summarizing giving, status, affiliation, and other data points, as needed.
- Assists in the coordination of special events, including dedications, donor recognition events and celebration of special initiatives to ensure timely and successful completion of the proceedings.
- Designs and produces ad hoc reports based on data extracted from primary databases to support fund raising programs.
- Oversees stewardship functions to ensure that donors receive ongoing communication regarding the benefits of their gifts to Yale.
- Supports fundraising directors and gift officers in a range of additional activities related to the university’s development effort, as needed.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required education and experience
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level and a high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an associate's degree; or little or no work experience and a bachelor's degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required skills and abilities
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy. Strong communication/oral skills, with special emphasis on writing ability. Ability to communicate effectively with top-level donors and senior Yale administrators.
- Demonstrated database skills, including organizational and research abilities, with strong attention to detail, including analyzing large volumes of information from disparate sources and synthesizing it in cogent and concise reports and written form.
- Highly effective organizational and inter-personal skills including the ability to seek effective solutions to problems and to demonstrate grace under pressure. Demonstrated ability to prioritize work, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines in a time-constrained environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team. Ability to initiate and complete tasks with minimal supervision. Professionalism, maturity, and an ability to maintain strict confidentiality of personal information and matters requiring discretion.
- Ability to work with financial information and standard office software. Demonstrated ability to produce a variety of reports and to provide data analysis. High proficiency at word processing (including tables), spreadsheets, database extractions and other technical/computer skills and programs.
Preferred education, experience, and skills
Knowledge of fundraising practices, as well as development data/database management systems; knowledge of one or more foreign languages or at least comfort level working with foreign names/addresses and communicating with individuals in other countries; ability to track and proof ethnic names and foreign titles. Experience in a university setting. Experience with databases and web-based research.